Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Beautifully Uncivilized Act: Josh weighs in

This discussion is taking off! From an internet cafe somewhere in Casablanca (I think) Josh Smyth has sent his ever-thought-provoking take on this whole arts-civilization thing. I am loving that you are all taking such an active role in this blog! Mostly because it gives me wonderful food for thought and the chance to get to know you all better, even from a distance, but also - I have to confess - because it buys me time. When I first posted about Steven Galloway's book I had no idea what I was unleashing. The function of the arts in this world is a question I have been grappling with increasing intensity for a while now and I still don't really feel ready to articulate my thoughts. I promise I will eventually post something about this, but in the meantime, you can continue sending in your insights, which I'm sure will help me come to some clarity. You are also invited to read Karl Paulnack's welcome address to the parents of the students at the Boston Conservatory of Music. You may have read it - it was circulating widely among musicians this winter (and Paul Pulford posted it on the door of 318) - but I only got around to reading it when Pat, author of the previous post sent it to me the other day. Whatever I end up writing about all this will draw on this article, as well as everything you have all given me to mull over. Gah! I talk to much! I give you: Josh Smyth.

"At the most basic level, I too have often had a problem with the
term "civilization". It comes up within a discourse that labels the
whole concept as colonial, as designed only to allow us to label
things we don't like as "uncivilized". If you want to get a rise out
of normally staid political scientists, try using it. I certainly
cannot dismiss those objections out of hand, though - even without
delving into whatever cultural frameworks are underneath Galloway's
particular understanding of it, I don't think that we can escape the
thought that part of what that cellist is doing - or what any artist
is doing in war, for that matter - is reasserting his or her
membership in civilization, in a group that doesn't kill people
indiscriminately with mortars and the like. For that characterization
to make any sense, there must be a group that does kill, destroy,
hate, etc. Call them uncivilized, call them barbarians, whatever, but
whatever the conscious logic is, I cannot help but think that the
creation and assertion of artistic beauty in such times is at least
partially captured by the need to "other" those who would destroy. To
me, this is all somewhat misleading - the really horrifying thing is
that those who are killing your family are just as "civilized" as you
are, that the same bonds of fellowship that can draw a community
together in belonging are the ones that lead us down some pretty
terrible roads.

In any case, this is but a side point. I'm more interested in thinking
about the contractual nature of "civilized" life. This is certainly a
dominant view of civilization, as a set of agreements between us to
treat each other a certain way, but I'm skeptical of the social
contract. To me it seems to understate the role coercion plays in our
lives, and in the history of our societies' development. I'm not sure
that it is a broad agreement that keeps us all from bopping each other
on the heads with microphones - it may also be the simple threat of
punishment for it, and the more complex internalization of social
norms, the violation of all of which carries at least a social
penalty. This point has been driven home for me recently while on the
road, where a great many of the social norms of Canada - not driving
like a maniac, for example - don't apply. When I fling myself into
traffic to get across a road, I still cringe at the violation of rules
that I've internalized long ago, even though to follow those rules (or
even to cringe at them) would put me in more danger. I suspect the
same is often the case with much of the rest of our lives. We're not
always that conscious of just how much sanction would come our way for
violating the rules of the civilized game. The creepy thing is how
quickly those rules can result in norms that make terrible acts not
only acceptable, but mandatory - witness Bosnia, or Rwanda.

More broadly speaking, thinking about civilization as a contract
seems to me to understate the role that coercion played in creating
modern society. We didn't just come together as a group of individuals
and agree to create civilization. It evolved slowly, and it has always
been characterized by increasingly sophisticated methods of control;
indeed, the things that characterize civilized life in the broadest
sense - writing, for example - probably emerged as a way for the newly
rich elite to keep track of their stuff.

How does this all tie into the arts? In a way I find quite
inspiring. I've been reading "Dancing in the Streets" by Barbara
Ehrenreich, recently - you gave it to me! - and she spends a good deal
of time pointing at how the ecstatic rituals, drumming, and dancing of
our precivilized past were viewed as a threat by the nascent elites of
slightly later times. They were equalizers, social spaces in which
one's wealth or power ceased mattering. To me, this is how the arts
fits in in the face of despair - not as an act of maintaining
civilization, but as exactly the opposite, as a rejection of the
"civilization" that bands us together into heirarchies that destroy
each other and the earth. The production of art is a beautifully
uncivilized act, one that does not depend on the social structures
around us but instead connects us through to the 4 basic things that
human beings do : eat, sleep, have babies, and create art. The
assertion of the cellist, to me, is not to proclaim the survival of
civilization, but to deny forever the possibility that civilization
could ever destroy our innate relationship with beauty. When we sing,
or play, or write, or paint, or dance, we can assert that even if
civilization has me killing my neighbours, all is not lost. That's
pretty neat.

--- End ramble ----"

6 comments:

  1. THIS.

    I have always viewed artistic expression as a great equalizer, an act that stands in the face of whatever oppressive forces exist in this world and say "NO. I am worth it. I am worth taking up this space and my life is worth expressing. No matter what you do to me, no matter how you silence me, this will always be my voice."

    In other news, I think Josh Smyth is awesome, no matter what country he's in.

    - kate k

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY LAUREN !!! Long time! Anyway you asked for thoughts and yes the way that civilization can "move inward" with its arts really gets to me a lot too.

    I would say that to view the creative act as a "basic" occupation of humanity is to create a bit of confusion. The word "art" itself is a loaded term; it has some roots in the Latin "Ars", which means something like "skill in doing or performing that is attained by study, practice, or observation". The Romans threw the word "Ars" infront of at least rhetoric and poetry, both of which have similarities to music in that they only exist in performance (or, now, recordings of performance).
    The contemplation of beautiful things is a whole other bag. Reading anything that the English acadamic painter Joshua Reynolds wrote, and comparing it to some of his paintings, was a kind of enlightening thing for me - an example of just how far the Western European mind during the height of its "culture" could make a monument of superiority out of cultural production. One of his biggest critics was William Blake - who wrote deeply psychological poetry and published it with his own elaborate illustrations, a skill he learned in his teens as an apprentice engraver.

    The importance of the relationship between "the medium and the message", I think, is easier to see when you compare what a "theme" is in a painting and what a "theme" is in a sonata-allegro form. In a painting there's obviously some kind of message, whether it be "this girl is beautiful", "this act of war is atrocious", or "I am a really clever person because I can put everything into an obscure system of metaphorical images." However, with instrumental music, the message is far less obvious; I personally would say it has nothing tangible about it and is completely dependent on emotional content, that of the performers and the willingness of the audience to accept the emotion.

    I would sharply disagree with the statement "the production of art is a beautifully
    uncivilized act, one that does not depend on the social structures around us". In fact I would say the act of creating art itself cannot be called beautiful or ugly in so far that it is a process which leads to a product, and requires labour. And I would also say that the decisions which go into that process are COMPLETELY dependent on the social structures around us - because I believe that humans are social animals and cannot live in isolation. This is why the victim of war who Steven Galloway talked to was so afraid of "no one coming". A social contract is inevitable to humanity - like Hobbes said, "life is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short" unless we somehow work together with those around us. The times are a changing, however; as the generations go on and technology in "the West" gets better and better, the world is becoming literally "a smaller place". I think this will help people to stop using their identities to build up walls (eg. Jerusalem) and to stop knocking others down (eg. Rwanda). Fear is a death-monger, but only if the person in trembling doesn't have "basic" respect for life - in all its manifestations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er I should also add I guess an important point - there's a difference between "having respect" and "knowing how to respect", much like the difference between "talking the talk and walking the walk". I don't think that will ever get easier for people, at least not without conscious practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I wish there was an edit button - i should of used "conscientious practice", because I certainly know through my own experience that trying to respect people can easily lead to hard feelings, towards the self, but also more importantly in others who may inadvertently get false impressions about how much you respect them and hence start making assumptions about your "character" (whatever "character" really is!!). what i mean is that i find respect to be a really really really tricky thing, and that is why i now try not to hold anything against anyone as best as i can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, point well taken - I didn't really mean to say that the creation of art was an act completely outside of the social world. Nothing we do is, and I don't think that art is in any way immune from playing a part in social life with all its expectations. Certainly art can also be used to control others and to guide the social milleu in a given direction. What I was trying to get across is that the basic creative act that lies beneath all art is the one thing that no structure of power can deprive us of totally. Depending on our social context, we may be painting the sistine chapel or blowing patterns in the dust of a prison, but it remains art nonetheless. Unlike eating, or sleeping, or sex, we cannot be completely kept from it by force - force can only alter the terrain upon which we express it.

    At the end of the day, though, this also is an arguement about the social contract itself. I don't think that the Hobbesian understanding of humanity is right; we are not so nasty or brutish absent the contract, nor are we so well sorted out with it. The contract idea always seemed to me to be a convenient fiction to provide some sort of intellectual justification for power to be exerted over us for our own good - a major part of organized western civilization.

    Whee!
    - Josh

    ReplyDelete
  6. aha ya i agree about no one being able to take our ability to create art away from us. freedom is a funny thing - it seems like so many people go through a certain point in their life where they feel repressed and all they want is control over their own destiny - take luke skywalker for instance! but in my experience people who come by their freedom with relative ease, that is, people who don't have to deal with vast seemingly unalterable repressive conditions in their lives, often don't know what to do with their freedom once they establish a sense of it for themselves - at least, they don't know what to do with it if they're not entrenched in commodity culture, i guess. it also probably has a lot to do with comforts, but thats kind of another subject.
    i think that behind the social contract is the question of a funnier thing, "human nature" - the "natural state" of humanity. it scares me sometimes, given our apparently unique capacity for memory and syntactical language. i think hobbes was right for his time and place, when kings ruled the land through displays of force, when some kind of feudal system provided people with food, and when education was a scarce thing. i could imagine that people who have little, and don't understand why certain others have lots, won't be losing sleep over their appropriation of what they think they rightly deserve, through any means necessary. and i agree definitely, it is a scary thing too, when someone thinks that they can assume a powerful position simply because they think they know how to give people their own good. it's like adam smith's "invisible hand" - you can't just leave a board of directors (ie. a "corporation") to pursue what's best for themselves and expect the benefits to automatically "fall from heaven" down to the wage slaves, especially when the people in these days of PR firms know the exact reasons a person would be willing to convert their hard-earned bills into material satisfaction. fortunately the bills seem to be actually losing their symbolic value these days, since the liars in america have started to cave in to the liable consumers they've goaded on for decades.
    on the other side of the coin, technology has become so good these days that people often forget where their things come from - for example, it seems nobody even wonders why somebody would WANT to make an automobile that they probably won't ever be driving (lolz although that might be a bad example given how good modern auto-unions are at sucking the blood out of oil)

    ReplyDelete